Pre-marital counseling is a type of therapy that helps couples prepare for marriage.
Marriage is perhaps the most complex of human relationships. The process of two people joining their lives into one cohesive unit is a lifetime process oftentimes filled with challenges, re-negotiations, new learning experiences, not to mention conflict. Building a marriage that will last a lifetime, while fun and rewarding can be a challenge. Unfortunately, too many couples are not equipped with the tools to adequately prepare them for marriage.
Pre-marital counseling is a tool that, if used effectively, can help couples work out any potential issues, strengthen their relationship, and teach communication and conflict resolution skills that will increase the chances of a successful, healthy marriage.
Pre-marital Counseling generally addresses the following topics:
- Marital Expectations/Gender Roles
- Effective Communication Skills
- Developing Positive Conflict Resolution Habits and Tools for Arguing Successfully
- Financial Planning
- Family of Origin Concerns including getting along with In-Laws
- Understand differing Personality Styles
- Sexual Expectations
Premarital Counseling Worksheets