David I. Defoe, LCPC
- Position: Clinical Director/Psychotherapist
- Experience: Grief, Anxiety, Depression, Couples, Trauma
- Location: 14502 Greenview Drive, Suite 202, Laurel, Maryland 20708
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (240) 581-1500
Hello, I am David, and I am a licensed clinical professional counselor (LCPC), a national certified counselor (NCC), and certified grief recovery specialist. I have been providing counseling and mental health services to individuals, couples and families since 2003. During that time I have worked with a diverse population of clients in various clinical settings including outpatient mental health clinics, group practices, university settings, religious settings, and hospitals. I have a very client centered approach to therapy and believe that each individual has within themselves a capacity to make impactful changes.
I see clients for a range of presenting issues, however I specialize in helping clients navigate the difficulties associated with depression, anxiety, adjusting to life changes, trauma, and grief. I am also a helper’s helper as I hold space for other clinicians, healthcare workers, and professional helpers who want to explore their own challenges in a judgement free environment.
Sessions with me have been described as laid back, introspective, and at times light hearted but challenging. I believe that my role as a therapist is to ask “good” questions that illicit deep introspection. I believe curiosity, unconditional acceptance for who we are and what we believe, and compassion are important ingredients for establishing a healthy and trustworthy therapeutic relationship.
I operate within a framework that expands on the three pillars of change management, that seeks to accomplish in the therapeutic journey these 6 A’s:
I am an approved clinical supervisor in the State of Maryland and am able to provide group and individual supervision for LGPC’s who are looking to complete their 3,000 hours for licensure. In addition I also mentor new clinicians and aspiring practice owners.
- -Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, State of Maryland
- -Approved Clinical Supervisor, State of Maryland
- -Member American Counseling Association
- -Board Certified National Certified Counselor
- -Certified Mental Health First Aid Instructor
- -Certified Grief Recovery Specialist, Grief Recovery Institute
- -Prepare/Enrich Facilitator Trainer
- -Certified Crisis Intervention Specialist
- -SYMBIS (Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts) Facilitator
- -Gottman Method – Level 2 Trained
- -EMDR Trained